Sunday, May 4, 2014

why the blankets?

i love love love to knit.

i learned to knit in my teens, 
my mom made us knit little booties for the dining chairs
 to keep them from scratching the floor (!#?!).

i even worked in a yarn shop, 

helping knitters work through some problems with their patterns.


but i really, fell under the spell of the knitting needles a couple of years ago.

while cleaning my daughter's room. 
i stumbled upon her big basket of yarn collection (craft lover that she is), 
and the urge to knit came over me.

i took the yarn and needles with me on one of our camping trip 

and started knitting in the car, on the drive there, in front of the camp fire,
 at the beach, at the park, in the car again (on the way home).


i was hooked!!!  i couldn't put the needles down.
i knitted really simple scarves... knit/pearl/knit/pearl... 

no patterns or instructions needed.


when i finished a scarf and ran out of yarn,
 i'd take it apart again just to be able to continue knitting.
i realized i loved the process of knitting more than the end product itself.

then i had an idea... i would find used scarves (thrift shops) 
and take them apart and make a mega unending scarf, 
more like a shawl or a blanket or an afghan.

and that's how my blanket production started.
soooooo much fun
who cares about the dishes and the messy house and the cooking... 
the needles are calling!!!

erica
xoxo

joining frontier dreams and small things

1 comment:

  1. I agree Erica! I'm not sure what it is about a little fiber and two sticks, but knitting is is totally addictive!
    I loved learning your knitting story.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your kind words... they really do make my day !!!